Filip Tuytschaever is a partner of contrast. He specializes in EU, competition and distribution law and assists companies and public authorities in proceedings before the European Union and national authorities and courts. He has represented the European Commission, the European Banking Authority and the Kingdom of Belgium before the EU Courts.
Filip graduated from the University of Ghent, obtained Masters’ degrees in International and European Law (University of Brussels - VUB) and in business management (VLEKHO). He was awarded a Ph.D. in law by the Law Department of the European University Institute in Florence (Italy). He was a national expert in the Secretariat-General of the European Commission and an intern in the Legal Service of the European Commission.
Filip is professor of EU competition law at the Law Faculty of the University of Brussels (VUB).
Filip Tuytschaever has an extensive publication record on EU and Belgian competition law, the internal market and EU constitutional and institutional law, including the books 'Vertical Agreements in EU Competition Law' (3rd edition, Oxford, Oxford University Press 2018, 462 p., with F. Wijckmans), ‘Distributieovereenkomsten – EU – België – Nederland’ (‘Distribution Agreements – EU – Belgium – Netherland’) (Brussels, Larcier 2018, 635 p., with F. Wijckmans a.o.), ‘Horizontal Agreements and Cartels in EU Competition Law’ (Oxford, Oxford University Press 2015, 512 p., ed. with F. Wijckmans), and ‘Differentiation in European Union Law’ (Oxford, Hart Publishing 1999, 298 p.). For a full list: see publications.
Filip Tuytschaever is a member of the Brussels Bar. He speaks Dutch, French and English.
- European University Institute (Florence, Italy) (Ph.D. 1998)
- VLEKHO Business School (LL.M. Management of Enterprises 1992)
- University of Brussels (VUB) (LL.M. International and European Law 1992)
- University of Ghent (Lic. Jur., 1991)
- Professor EU Competition Law, Law Faculty, University of Brussels (VUB) (2004-present)
- Professor EU Institutional Law, Law Faculty, University of Brussels (VUB) (2001-2004)
- contrast (2006-present)
- VWEW, EU and competition law department (1999-2005)
- Hogan & Hartson, European and international trade law department, Brussels/Washington DC (1997-1999)
- Internship (Legal Service, European Commission) (1997)
- National expert (Secretariat-General, European Commission) (1992-1994)
"Brilliant antitrust lawyer" Filip Tuytschaever specialises in EU, competition and distribution law. Sources enthuse: "He is always there when you need a question answered and his work product is great".